26/11/2015

An Unexpected Dupe

So the other day I was casually doing my makeup and got stuck deciding which of these two palettes to use and then I realised just how similar they are. Don't you just love that feeling when you find such an unexpected dupe.

The Charlotte Tilbury Dolce Vita Palette (bottom swatch image) contains four shades; prime, enhance, pop and smoke. All of the shadows work perfectly at creating the ideal Autumnal smokey eye. Prime is a shimmery champagne shade that is to be used all over the lid to provide a base for the rest of the shadows. I have also been using this in the inner corners of my eyes and also on my brow bones for a slight bit of highlight. Enhance is a gold toned amber/rusty red shade and well I love this quite frankly. I have been using this all over the lid and also in the crease when creating a smokey effect. Pop is a gold/copper pressed pigment, this shade just makes the palette in my opinion. It's the most luxurious of eye shadow shades and feels so incredibly buttery and soft on the lids you wouldn't ever believe it's a pressed pigment. I apply this by taking it onto my ring finger and then dabbing all over the lid. Smoke is a khaki green toned brown with a slight golden shimmer, I use this in the outer corners of the eye to give that smokey effect and also on the lower lash line.

The Rimmel Glam Eyes HD Eye Shadow Palette (top swatch image) contains 5 shade; a champagne shade which may aswell by called Prime, I actually think I prefer this particular shadow to the Charlotte Tilbury version. We've got a khaki shade which is very similar to Smoke, but slightly lighter in shade and is matte. Then there's a lovely rich rusty pink shade which is very similar to Enhance but more pink in tone, Enhance is slightly more brown in tone. One shade that isn't in the Dolce Vita palette is a darker berry toned brown shadow which I think actually gives this Rimmel palette the edge as it just gives you that flexibility to have a shade that can smoke the eye and also line. Then lastly there's a dark gunmetal grey which is lovely to line the lower lash line.

Now both palettes do definitely have their differences and are not identical by any means but they are also very similar for a couple of shades. Honestly, of course Charlotte Tilbury was always going to be slightly better quality but the Rimmel palette really isn't that far behind. I would definitely recommend this Rimmel palette if you've got your eye on Dolce Vita but don't necessaily have the budget for it, it's a great alternative.

Have you tried either of these palettes?

10 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try this Rimmel palette, but since I got the The Dolce Vita palette, I always thought I didn't need that one as well :) I don't know why I never bought it before though... It looks great! How funny you come across to a dupe for Dolce Vita, just out of nowhere! ;)

    Love, Charline | Charline Has a Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted about this dupe earlier in the year too! I think it's fantastic for anybody who really wants CT but it's out of their price range! xx

    Beautylymin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really, I'll check out your post then xx

      Delete
  3. Ohhh, I'll have to check this out next time I'm in Boots!

    Sara - She Who Is Short

    ReplyDelete
  4. This palette has been on my wishlist for ages! I'm definitely going to have to check out your dupe recommendation in the meantime!

    xo, Liz
    http://lipstickandconfetti.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do actually have both of these but never realised they were dupes! Great spot :) xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such great palettes aren't they! Xx

      Delete