30/08/2015

#35 Sunday Sounds - Pretty Packaging

Anyone that knows me knows what a sucker I am for pretty packaging, so for today's Sunday thought I am bringing you products encased in pretty packaging. Anything shiny or glossy or a little bit quirky always grabs my attention immediately. Obviously as a blogger I always try to see past the pretty frosted rose golden exterior and give my honest opinion of the actual product but I find myself far too often justifying a not so great product with the fact that it looks uber pretty "so the product isn't that great but just look at it". Same goes for anything limited edition or packaged in a festive box with a red satin bow looped around it, I instantly have to have it. So anyway the other day I was tidying out my makeup collection and found myself coming across products that I never use because well quite frankly they're blummin useless, but I couldn't bring myself to chuck them out because of the pretty packaging. This got me thinking. How much are we influenced by pretty packaging and limited edition sets instead of the quality of product and also do we overlook products that aren't so eye catching in design when the product inside could be the next big thing?

Beauty products are designed, essentially, for one purpose; to help improve or mask our own personal imperfections and to escentuate our own natural beauty. So really we should only be concentrating on one thing and one thing only...the quality of product and whether it will help towards any skin concern that we have. Some brands, naming no names, rely very heavily on their packaging to set themselves apart from other brands whereas other brands concentrate completely on the product and serve this product in the most basic of packaging as they want their customers to get the most for their money. I mean there is definitely something pretty special about lighting a £60.00 candle on a girly night in or pouring a £100.00 bottle of oil into a hot and bubbly bath or slathering an £80.00 bottle of facial oil over your face and neck before bedtime...it's these products that don't necessarily do anything special to your skin or hair etc but do make you feel pretty special and spoilt inside.

I've come to realise, there are two types of products in this world, products that benefit your skin or hair or nails etc and products that just make you feel pretty damn special. In my opinion I think it's still ok to indulge in those products that are more of a luxury because of the packaging and how it looks on my beauty cabinet but I am also going to make a more conscious effort to look past that packaging when it comes to products that I want to make a difference in my skincare routine.

How much does pretty packaging effect you when buying cosmetics?

12 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you! I think that product is important but sometimes I just want to have that item and use for special occasions o just have it on my desk and I think that is okay. xx Zara

    // zarameredith77.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pretty packaging, I just can't help myself haha :-) x

    Makeup, Beauty & Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to say that pretty packaging doesn't influence me at all, but honestly it really does! I have such a first world mental struggle when I like a product but the packaging is god awful- how sad is that?

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sad at all! I do the exact same thing lol :) xx

      Delete
  4. I hate to admit it but I'm a total sucker for pretty packaging too! There's something about bright colours or gold casing that always entices me to check the product out! In the past I have been guilty of buying a product because I thought it would look nice on my dressing table despite having heard lots of negative things about it :O x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with this! I'd be a bit bummed if the product was rubbish after I bought it for the packaging but there's nothing wrong with liking a product and the packaging making it even more special to use :) xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the packaging can make a product feel so much more luxurious xx

      Delete
  6. I totally agree! YSL lipsticks just look beautiful!

    Emily x
    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something so luxurious about them! Xx

      Delete